Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's no sacrifice- It's just a simple word.

So last saturday I was dipping heavily into the liquor pot at Bar Louie in Chinatown with my good friend Mags just catching each other up on life. After discussing her disappointment in the fact that I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years I informed her of the fact that he could potentially be moving to New York (he's a Londoner) for half a month- every month.

"Perfect" she exclaimed, now you can choose a law school in NYC and you two can be together!

**pause**

"What if I had my heart set on going to school in Los Angeles (or Chicago, or China)?"
"It's all about sacrifice, he's sacrificing living in London to be with you and you can sacrifice for him."


Later that night as I drunkenly climbed into bed I stared at my ceiling and thought to myself: how much does one sacrifice before one finds themselves somewhere they really don't want to be? Now I'm not saying this is me and I'm sure at least one of my friends would be willing to say that I don't make very many/haven't made very many sacrifices in this relationship. To me however, I think I'm coming close enough.


I'm not use to sacrificing and compromising, yes I'm one of 4 children but I'm the oldest and the wisest and the most motivated so I tended to get my way as a child. I really only compromised on things that were of no importance to my bottom line. So now at 23 I'm being asked n a relationship to sacrifice things that I have considered a major part of me (getting married when I can afford a nice wedding and perhaps a down payment on a lovely house in Kensington or Notting Hill, focusing on my career and not running around taking Baby Sunshine to ballet class) and I just don't know if I'm ready to do it yet. Shoot if I'm mature enough to do that... no matter how much I love him.

Yesterday I read an article in Glamour in which the writer (a male) had fallen in love with a woman but then she decided to move half way across the world and so they broke up. It gnawed at him though and he decided to leave his job at glamour to go to where she was. That really blew my mind. The concept of dropping everything to be with someone that you consider "the one."

So I thought about all this last night, got down on my knees in front of my bed and prayed that God would send me a signal indication the direction I needed to follow as I couldn't hear over the noise of my head and heart fighting...

This morning I got a fee waiver from one of my top schools- conveniently located on 116th and Amsterdam. Upper West Side. New York City, New York.






Title Courtesy of Elton John "Sacrifice"

No comments:

Post a Comment