Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Life ain't no crystal stair....

There's a girl in my legal skills section who is just plain annoying. I don't mean in that law school gunner (spent all night studying) annoying- I mean the I'm too good to be here with you peasants annoying.  She constantly looks bored, I overheard her on the phone today talking about how she needed a computer in order to have something else to do. Sigh. We get it- you are some super genius who Harvard just so accidently forgot off their acceptance list. But let's be honest- your first year of law school is basically the same ANYWHERE you go. There are 6 subjects you must know: torts, criminal, civil procedure, property, contracts, and constitutional law. Some schools will mix it up on you- but essentially you aren't very special  as a 1L. Let's also be frank- 6,532 people applied for 183 spots in this class. If you don't want to be here I'm pretty sure that someone from Washington & Lee would gladly take your spot - relieving the other 15 people in our class. So let's suck it up and don't ruin my orientation- k?

*******
Enough of ranting... I was reading an amazing post by my friend over at the 25 Project on praying to God but realizing the limitations of you as man. I was reminded how me ending up at my law school was the definition of asking the right questions and having faith in the answer you receive. Here was my response:

The entire time I was applying to law school I kept praying that God would get me into the law school I wanted to be at. I was talking to my ex about the situation and how I was really hoping that God would present me with the opportunity to go where I wanted and he said: why don't you ask God to put you where you need to be? I didn't get into the place that I wanted but I ended up with an offer I couldn't resist at a place where it seems (for now) I'm actually blessed to be. 


And that ladies and gentlemen is the reminder I'm holding with me this year. Especially as I'm burying my head in a 4 page case brief during orientation week.

No comments:

Post a Comment