Monday, March 22, 2010

Katt Williams is on to something...


Not sure if everyone has seen the Stacey Dash/ Wendy Williams interview where Stacey admits that she had to have a man tell her she was beautiful...

UMMM WHAT?!?! <--- I'm pretty sure encompasses the a majority female responses to the clip (hence why it made so much of a splash on the blogosphere). Stacey Dash is amazingly beautiful. Her body is on point, her skin hasn't cracked, her hair is fly. She looks at 44 what most people want to look like at 24 (or am I just speaking for myself here? lol). But finally she cracked... she admitted that despite how she might look to others- to herself she wasn't beautiful enough. When I first heard it I thought of the Katt Williams quote where he said "Bitch it's called SELF-ESTEEM! It's esteem of your mothafuckin' self. How am I gonna fuck up how you feel about you..." Not knocking Stacey Dash or anything because we've all had those moments where a picture, a comment, the ending of relationship, or an ill fitting dress made us question ourselves- even if only for a moment. But that's where it needs to stop. For a moment. If you're so focused on your flaws that you can't recognize what you have- it's going to cause an issue for you that's greater than a relationship. It's going to cause issues with your respect for yourself, how you go about your day, and in some cases it can create true friction in your psyche.

I guess that since this is a relationship blog of sorts I can say that it does turn into who you attract. A "5" girl can look like a "7" with confidence just as easily as a "7" girl can look like a "5" without it. I keep this is my head when I realize that I can either shirk away from my physical issues that I find hampering or I can celebrate those things that I find wonderful (the latter outweighs the former)... and those things that I find bothersome I'll work on fixing. Until then...

Perhaps Katt Williams is on to something- you decide how you feel about you.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. You know I struggle with self-esteem all the time but oftentimes it's so ingrained in us our whole lives that it's super difficult to shake. Self-esteem to me is kinda a misnomer because it's so greatly shaped by what others say about us or make us feel. I once found a pamphlet on self-esteem and the bible. I never read it. Then one day I saw it and I wanted to read it, I put it in my coat pocket and it fell out along the way to my destination. The Devil is a liar! lol. If I ever find it again or another one I'll let you know what it says. Again great stuff.

    "I just wanna be a heartthrob!" lol

    ReplyDelete