Thursday, April 22, 2010

Monogamy= Agony???

All men are not against monogamy. Don't believe me- check it. In the same vein we know that all women are not pro-monogamy either. But why? What is so bad about monogamy.


Absolutely nothing.

I'm sure that some will argue that if you truly love someone you don't have to worry about being dedicated and devoted to your partner but let's be honest- that's bullshit. It doesn't work. It won't work for 99.99% of the population. Like every other aspect of a relationship- sole commitment takes work. I've previously stated in my cheating post that I have had one relationship in which I was faithful. I can even pinpoint why- it was important to me, despite the difficulties, to remain committed to someone that I wanted to be committed to me. If I felt the urge to kiss someone else- I sat myself out and thought about the repercussions. What would my boyfriend say? Even better how would he feel? How would I feel? Is a moment of lust worth giving up everything I'm fighting for? My decision would usually fall under not worth it or just break up. And we did. A multitude of times.

Despite my history- I support monogamy. I support making difficult choices in the face of easy situations. I understand that your partner will make you mad and that lovely buxom lady at the front desk has such a great ear for listening but you have to realize that a relationship is more than just the here and now. You're together with someone for the purpose of deciding on making a life long commitment- not just to get regular pumps. If you feel like that isn't enough to make you stay faithful to your partner- the thought of building a lasting partnership- then you shouldn't be in one. point blank.

My best friend used to call me at insane hours of the night telling me about his urge to bang the millions of ladies who were all on him once he crossed his fraternity, but how conflicted he was because he truly loved his girlfriend. I told him that he needed to either let her free and bang like a rabbit or realize what he has and work on figuring out why it is so important to let her be the only one. After all - I'm sure he would of burst a blood vessel if he thought that she was out running up with half of UPenn's campus. It's not just a one way street. I'd also like to point out that after one failed infidelity attempt he realized what he had done- worked his behind off to get her back- and they are getting married in July. He's told me so many times that thinking about how she walked away from him, how other girls were just there for a passing moment, and how difficult it was to get her back has solidified for him that she's his rock.

I support monogamy and you should too. It saves money (ask Nas), lives, careers, families, and just makes you feel all warm inside. All I ask is that the next time you get the urge to cheat on your significant other think about what you have to lose and make smarter choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment