Sunday, December 20, 2009

You Know It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp....

There's been a lot in the media these past for months about domestic violence from Chris Brown to Elin Woods and let's not forget Chris Henry. It's the subject that up until recently (i.e. last 20 years or so) has been a house issue. You let the neighbors handle their business you handle yours. I will admit that I've sometimes sat by when I should of stood up. My personal investment occurred when I was in high school as I witnessed my best friend interact with a dangerously unstable male who one day (in my own house) picked her up and tossed her across the room. While my friends and I should of intervened we let them work it out (she eventually left). Today I was forwarded an extremely disturbing video that I feel might be all too often a regularity:


Point blank... she whoops his ass and he takes it. When I was a young little thang I would get upset with my boyfriend in the heat of a fight and dole out a face slap or two- never thinking twice about it. I had never seen a female relative hit their spouse but for someone reason thanks to television/movies I though that it was ok to do that. Once I got into college however it just didn't seem as necessary (although I did have to be pulled off a certain male by his frat brothers my freshman year after he was telling people that he had smashed... but that's neither here nor there :) ). I've gotten to the point now where I dole out the silent treatment (you'd be surprised how well those work) when I feel like I'm 30 seconds away from clocking my s.o. in the face. Then once I've chilled out we discuss it (like a mature relationship should work).

I don't believe that physical fighting leads towards anything good but repeated patterns and escalations but as far as the video is concerned... I also don't believe in standing down if it's for your own protection. She was throwing and kicking as hard as she possibly could and while he could be much stronger than her (despite his puny size) I'm sure nobody wants to take being beat. I'm all for responding enough to stop the situation- especially when you don't have a crowd around.

No comments:

Post a Comment