Monday, June 14, 2010

Opinions are like assholes- stay away from mine.


I have an opinion.

Sometimes I'm right (ok who are we kidding- usually I'm right)- sometimes I'm wrong (and will admit that)- and often my opinion has changed as I got older. When I was in high school I said I was never going to get into a serious relationship and that emotions were for suckers (well some things never change...) but as I got older and got into someone that I felt was a giant portion of my whole- I let my emotions just be. I said I would never learn to cook for man because I didn't need to- and now look- I've learned four new recipes the past few weeks because I'm with someone who makes cooking enjoyable.

I said all of these things- they were a part of my opinion- because of where I was at the time. That's not to say that everything will change but I recognize and accept that I've formed opinions about things that I have no clue about. And you know what that's ok.

What I do not accept is being challenge for my ideas in a way to belittle or insult me. There's a line between constructive criticism along with a productive dialogue starting and commenting with the intent to undermine. I do not apologize for my thoughts and I wouldn't expect anyone else to- we're all growing and learning as we experience life and getting to know the world and our place in it.

I'm beginning to see though that opinions are not to be shared with everyone... which is a shame because if we can't share opinions then where do we stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment